City of Rocks Travel Information
- Salt Lake City International Airport (4 hour drive)
- Reno-Tahoe International Airport in Reno, NV (8 hour drive)
- Jackson Hole Airport in Jackson, WY (4 hour drive)
- Idaho Falls Regional Airport (2 hour drive)
The City of Rocks National Preserve is located in South Central Idaho, South of Interstate I-86, West of Interstate I-86, and North of Interstate I-80. Click here for a link with driving directions. The City of Rocks National Preserve Visitor Center is located in Almo, ID, and the rock formations are only minutes outside the town.
- From Boise: take I-84 East to exit 216 (Declo); go south on Highway 77 to Conner Creek Junction; turn right (west) on Highway 77 Spur to Almo. The visitor center and the park entrance are south of the post office and businesses.
- From Pocatello: take I-86 West to I-84 West to exit 216 and proceed as above.
- From Salt Lake City: take I-84 west to exit 245 (Sublette), turn left and go west to Malta. From Malta take Highway 77. Take Highway 77 Spur to Almo.
**Download directions to your smartphone while you still have service. You can then continue to map your drive using the GPS on your phone.
Car Rental / Carpooling:
A variety of car rental companies are available at all the airports – reserve online for the best price and selection. If you’d like to coordinate car rentals and carpooling with the other participants feel free to do so. We will email you a list of participants contact info to help you coordinate travel schedules and carpooling options.
Reception is spotty to non-existent throughout the area. Be prepared to be off the grid during this program. If you plan on using your phone to acquire directions and navigate, make sure you download that info before you lose cell service. You an then continue to map your drive using the GPS on your smartphone.
Where We Stay:
We will be camping within the City of Rocks National Preserve, which is a remote location. Follow the brown NPS park signs from the town of Almo into the park by taking road 3075S South. This is just past the Rock City Diner. This road turns to dirt right away. Follow the main road past a couple turns until you see the parking lot at Bath Rock, about 6-7 miles from the turn-off in Almo. The parking lot is on the right, and the big rock feature is on the left. Our campsites #48 and #49 are located just past Bath Rock on the left side. The National Park Service offers directions to the park, as well.
The National Park Service offers camping information, including a map showing the camp numbers and locations to help you familiarize yourself with the park.
Other lodging options in Almo, Idaho:
Groceries / Restaurants:
Almo, ID is a very small town with 2 small stores, one of which sells gas and a few restaurants. It’s best to do your grocery shopping and get your supplies before you arrive in Almo (for example in Idaho Falls, or Salt Lake City). There are no climbing gear stores, although you can find a few camping supplies.
- Rock City Mercantile
3049 Elba-Almo Rd, Almo, ID 83312
Great pizza, brews, ice for the cooler, and all the necessities for weekend at the COR.
- Tracy General Store
3001 Elba-Almo Rd, Almo, ID 83312
Gas & Food
- Almo Creek Outpost
Steaks and good times