Here on the Chicks Climbing Gossip Report you can catch up on all of the great gossip (articles, videos, and other assorted cool stuff) we talked about over the past week at Chicks Climbing. As we approach the crushing madness that is the holiday season, remember that the gift of a Chicks clinic is definitely one that will continue to give for years to come! So think about signing up your sister, mom, aunt, cousin, girlfriend – whoever it is that’s special to you – for a life-changing experience at Chicks with Picks!
We hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend with friends and family. We are excited for a couple of new posts we’ve got ready for the Chicks blog this week including a trip report from Chicks Girly Guide Dannika Gilbert who’s been getting on some early season ice in the Ouray area along with a Chicks sighting to report as well! So stay tuned 🙂
All of the other articles we linked to this past week through either the Chicks Climbing Twitter account, or on the Chicks Climbing Facebook fan page (and some on both!). We provide this wrap-up because we come across a TON of great resources each week, but understand that not everyone is online all the time, or even on both (or either) of these social media platforms. So you can check here each and every week for the latest and greatest in Chicks Climbing resources.
However, we know WE may have also missed some cool stuff this week, so if there is something of interest we missed that you came across this week please, let us know so we can share with everyone else!
– Tips for (& good reasons to) make the switch to leashless climbing of the ice and mixed variety: http://bit.ly/uZycf2
– Emily Harrington & the figure four: http://bit.ly/smcDWD
– See powerful video of ice climbing accident & self-rescue, along with thoughtful analysis from Will Gadd: http://ht.ly/7H7cg
– Some good tips for proper gear to wear when rock climbing during this shoulder season to stay warm! http://bit.ly/uVPLch
– Sarah (@cdnrockiesgirl) shares what it’s like to be a first-time route setter at the climbing gym: http://ht.ly/7FbjT
– Our friend Paul-Baptiste Baca (@paukku) was recently given a kickass birthday gift, which he named Koskenkorva Martini (5.10a) http://bit.ly/rDNRFm
– Q&A with badass climber Chick Angie Payne: http://bit.ly/suj328
– Check out the latest, most updated clinic schedule for Ice Fest 2012!! http://www.scribd.com/doc/73364789/2012-Clinic-Template-V4-2
– Congrats to Sonnie Trotter for the only 2nd ascent of The Prophet (5.13d R) on El Cap. http://bit.ly/uXfjbd
– Ready to climb out of fall into winter? Check out a preview of upcoming 2011-2012 ice festivals: http://bit.ly/tWyrMx
– Nice profile on @SterlingRope climber Leslie Timms: http://bit.ly/vOf8xs
– Whoa! 5.15 in the Red? http://bit.ly/sZxuQ4
– The Smiley’s have 8 climbs planned for 2012 as they continue their 50 Classics ticklist – but they need your help: http://vimeo.com/32425674
– Tommy Caldwell steps away from the Dawn Wall project…until next year: http://bit.ly/tMztTc
– Jenn Flemming’s “Fraid Line” 5.13R with a PINK Sterling Rope (@SterlingRope) Nano 9.2: http://bit.ly/ugL48m
– Big City Mountaineers (@bigcitymtneers) just announced a Mount Shasta all-women’s climb! bit.ly/rOKfMT
– Check out the French Alpine club excellence team climbing free on some serious big walls in Yosemite http://ow.ly/7EWmC
– The Petzl (@Petzl) Lynx Crampons are on this Chick’s wish list! See what else is on The Gear Caster’s (@thegearcaster) gift guide for climbers: http://bit.ly/u4VtRW
– Chicks gear tester Sara B. liked this piece from our sponsors at Columbia Sportswear (@Columbia1938) so much that she wore it 3 days in a row in Zion: http://bit.ly/tQYQLP
– Staying connected is critical for Krysia (@ventrsomekrysia) who reviews The North Face (@thenorthface) eTip gloves: http://bit.ly/sWyLmh
– You can’t help but smile watching these young Chicks crushing! http://ht.ly/7H7HR
Training & Nutrition
– Art or food? Or both?? Paul-Baptiste Baca’s (@Paukku) Holiday Harvest Loaf http://bit.ly/uZwoHT
– Great tips from Elizabeth (@eliz_rocks) on staying healthy mentally & physically when schedules get crazy (i.e. the holidays?!) http://bit.ly/uKyrXQ
– Rock climbing one of the Top 5 Sports for a full body workout http://ow.ly/7ByFb
– Citibank commercial featuring Katie Brown & Alex Honnold! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE4bcq8Plzk
If you have a blog entry that you think would be of interest to the women of Chicks Climbing please let us know! We love getting contributed content from other women – anything from trip reports, nutrition and training tips, to videos. We want to share your resources with the community – much like we do with the Gossip Report and are more than happy to re-publish and share links on behalf of the women’s climbing community!
This week’s Gossip Report is brought to you by our sponsors at Columbia Sportswear!