Here on the Chicks Climbing Gossip Report you can catch up on all of the great gossip (articles, videos, and other assorted cool stuff) we talked about over the past week at Chicks Climbing. We are looking forward to our 2012 “Complete” chicks showing up on Wednesday – they’ll have four days of ice climbing (including a skills day) in the ice park this weekend. Speaking of which, this Chickadee writing the Gossip Report is going to be among that group of kickass Chicks so it may be a bit quiet here for the next week or two as I have a period of time to climb everything I can out in the Ouray area! 🙂 The Chicks this weekend will be getting a real treat on Saturday, Jan. 28 as we have our second slideshow and auction fundraiser of the season. This one is for the Ouray Ice Park and will feature local girls Kim Grant and Annie Quathmar’s presentation of “Intrepid in India.” If you’re in the area please stop by – $5 at the door and TONS of deals on some amazing gear with all proceeds from the auction benefitting our awesome ice park! Full details here.
If you’re STILL thinking of coming out to climb with Chicks this year, just do it – we’d love to have you! There’s just a little bit of time left for you to sign up for “The Quickie” – check out all the details here.
Speaking of climbing with Chicks, we received a beautiful testimony from Jess – who’s been out to three Chicks clinics (both Chicks Rock! and Chicks with Picks) and she gave us an honest and heartfelt look into how Chicks has transformed her as a climber. If you haven’t read this lovely piece yet, you can check it out here.
We were a guest contributor to a fantastic project called 31 Days of Adventure, and our prompt came out this weekend! If you haven’t joined in the fun yet we highly suggest you start ASAP 🙂 You can check out what WE at Chicks suggested for an adventure here.
Did we miss any cool stuff this week? Let us know if you’ve got a link to some climbing-related goodies so we can share with everyone else!
We loved this quote found on Twitter last week from Laurel, aka @mtsquirrel who wisely said “One thing about ice climbing, if it’s a good spot to belay from it usually seems to be a bad spot to take pictures.”
– What was ice climbing like before specialized gear? This vid gives a good sense of it: http://vimeo.com/35167823
– You’ve probably never seen ice climbing like this: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.328090103881019.76740.119440211412677&type=3
– Sasha DiGiulian wraps up her trip to Hueco bouldering hard for a great start to 2012: http://ht.ly/8wkui
– Kruk and Kennedy Free the Compressor Route on Cerro Torre… http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/1722872/Kruk-and-Kennedy-Free-the-Compressor-Route-on-Cerro-Torre
– More details from the Kennedy Kruk climb on Cerro Torre: http://bit.ly/wNXbWE
– Get psyched to climb! http://bit.ly/yFeZoL “We’d all just be doing this anyway.”
– Climber Jack Roberts dies after ice climbing fall http://climbing.about.com/b/2012/01/17/climber-jack-roberts-dies-after-ice-climbing-fall-in-colorado.htm
– Very sad news out of Patagonia, Canadian climber Carlyle Norman killed: http://ht.ly/8xJSK
– Bolt failure in Australia: http://ht.ly/8xLvN
– More on Canadian skier Sarah Burke who passed away this week. This video is necessary viewing: http://ht.ly/8AG4n
Training & Nutrition
– Great rehab advice for climbers with tweaked elbows or ankles from Steph Davis (@highsteph): http://ht.ly/8ycHR
– Dealing with forced rest periods in climbing: http://climbstrong.wordpress.com/2012/01/13/qa-forced-rest-periods/
– Photos from Teri’s first ice climbing trip at Lee Vining Canyon with AAI: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62362992@N02/sets/72157628914917477/
– Love, love, love this post from Brendan (@semi_rad) on how staying young is the new growing old: http://ht.ly/8zbIx
– Beautiful Yosemite time lapse video – inspiration for climbing! http://is.gd/XpAoAz
– Mouse’s chocolate ice climbers! http://yfrog.com/odhhcxmvj
If you have a blog entry that you think would be of interest to the women of Chicks Climbing please let us know! We love getting contributed content from other women – anything from trip reports, nutrition and training tips, to videos. We want to share your resources with the community – much like we do with the Gossip Report and are more than happy to re-publish and share links on behalf of the women’s climbing community!
This week’s Gossip Report is brought to you by our sponsors at Columbia Sportswear! Thank you, Columbia for your support of our programs!