Here on the Chicks Climbing Gossip Report you can catch up on all of the great gossip (articles, videos, and other assorted cool stuff) we talked about over the past week at Chicks Climbing. Last week we announced a Chicks HOLIDAY SPECIAL on all of our 2012 Chicks with Picks clinics. If you want to find out how to save big, check out all the details here. Don’t delay, this offer is ONLY good for Chicks that sign up in December!
Do you hang out on Google+ ??? So do we! Find us here so we can get you in our circle and stay up-to-date on another platform with all the latest and greatest from Chicks.
On the Chicks blog last week we posted a trip report from Girly Guide Dannika Gilbert who climbed the Direct North Face route of 12,579 peak just outside of Silverton, Colo. while sporting some new gear she was testing for our sponsors at Columbia Sportswear. Find out how it felt for Dannika to get back on the ice AND how her Columbia gear made out in the full report here.
We also posted a new blog from Nicky Messner who is getting ready to head out to Aconcagua in just TWO weeks and has been spending a lot of time getting prepared mentally and physically. See what her tips are for the next time you get ready for a climbing expedition, and learn more about her upcoming June expedition to climb Kilimanjaro (which you can join her on) here.
All of the other articles we linked to this past week through either the Chicks Climbing Twitter account, or on the Chicks Climbing Facebook fan page (and some on both!). We provide this wrap-up because we come across a TON of great resources each week, but understand that not everyone is online all the time, or even on both (or either) of these social media platforms. So you can check here each and every week for the latest and greatest in Chicks Climbing resources.
However, we know WE may have also missed some cool stuff this week, so if there is something of interest we missed that you came across this week please, let us know so we can share with everyone else!
– Want in on the 2012 Ouray Ice Festival Comp.? Applications are due Dec. 15: http://ht.ly/7OTuw
– Great resource from http://CascadeClimbers.com on all the in’s and out’s of ice climbing gear: http://ht.ly/7HHoR
– Awesome blog post from Emily Harrington on her time climbing at the Red this fall: http://emilyaharrington.wordpress.com/2011/12/01/kentucky/
– Ice in the San Juan’s is still a bit wild, but definitely shaping up! http://ht.ly/7Hlgo
– An Accident and a Self-Rescue: http://tinyurl.com/83goueh
– A neat knot to know. http://ht.ly/7IxzQ
– Ever got stuck at a plateau? Elizabeth tells us how she did, and what got her to bust on through it! .http://bit.ly/vJj0G7
– Have you considered climbing with an 80m rope? @splitterchoss did with the Sterling Rope Nano & shares why it’s awesome: http://ht.ly/7N0Le
– Join or Renew your AAC Membership and you could win $1000 in gear! http://owl.li/7Kqal Ends Dec. 31.
– Want to give your climbing buddy a gift this holiday season? Here are some ideas from Gif (@rockclimberlife): http://ht.ly/7LenT
– Minnesota climber Lonnie Dupre to try again for a winter ascent of Denali http://bit.ly/rRQln3
– This week’s climbing, skiing, and outdoor news from AAI (@AlpineInstitute) http://ht.ly/7LHj6
– Review of the Petzl (@Petzl) Lynx crampons now up on Cold Thistle: http://ht.ly/7HGXx
– Check out what Katie (@k8tlevy) thought of the Columbia Sportswear (@Columbia1938) baselayer midweight striped tight: http://ht.ly/7Hmk7
– Stay warm in a fleece jumpsuit this winter http://bit.ly/sVH1mi
– Have long arms? Then the Mountain Hardwear Butter Zippity may just be for you. Check out what Jill (@Geargals) has to say: http://ht.ly/7LHXX
– New post on Paukku’s Life Annotations: Why I Buy? The Shiny and the Solid http://ow.ly/7LmCQ
– Jill (@Geargals) was impressed with the breathability of the Mountain Hardwear Drystein (Dry-Q) jacket. Full review: http://ht.ly/7OTTs
– Good stuff about teaching your children to dream big: http://ow.ly/7HKKC
– Top 5 regrets of the dying. Powerful stuff: http://beyondtheopposites.com/?p=94
– Inspired by Patagonia’s “Don’t Buy This Jacket” ad Brendan (@semi_rad) reminds us of other things we can do without http://ht.ly/7Lfhp
Training & Nutrition
– Interesting article on strength training for rock climbing – part 1 in a 2-part series: http://ht.ly/7IwL2
– Why Yoga for Rock Climbers? http://ht.ly/7LbD5
– Training tips for 19-year-old Megan from Steph Davis (@highsteph) that may help you out, too! http://ht.ly/7N1GK
– Majka Burhardt & Sarah Garlick recount their expedition to Mozambique: http://ht.ly/7IVzA
– Erica (@cragmama) had some FUN climbing the slab at Stone Mountain last weekend! http://ht.ly/7JXYv
– Another Amazing Trip Report – Half Dome With My Daughter: http://ht.ly/7LIwT
– Climbing fail. Anyone in the mood for Doritos? http://ht.ly/7Hmwu
– More bad belays: (“Hold on, we’re almost out of beer!”): http://ow.ly/7HuV2
– Best Christmas ornament ever?? http://instagr.am/p/WbQbj/
– “The mountaineering look is actually quite a practical one.” http://nyti.ms/uSm7qh
– Nothing says “Christmas Spirit” like old rope tinsel! http://fb.me/SqDtl7bk
– Giveaway from the Climbing Narc: Win A 2011 Access Fund Holiday Pack http://ht.ly/7OTlw
If you have a blog entry that you think would be of interest to the women of Chicks Climbing please let us know! We love getting contributed content from other women – anything from trip reports, nutrition and training tips, to videos. We want to share your resources with the community – much like we do with the Gossip Report and are more than happy to re-publish and share links on behalf of the women’s climbing community!
This week’s Gossip Report is brought to you by our sponsors at Columbia Sportswear!