Black Diamond’s Icon headlamp shines as one of my top six most appreciated technological advances in alpine climbing gear over the last couple of decades because it prevents against unplanned bivouacs.
With a range of 125 meters—the furthest of any BD headlamp—and 500 lumens, the Icon allows for route finding in the dark. What this really means is that with an Icon strapped to my head, I can keep climbing even when the day ends. This ability to climb in the dark is an essential preventative against the dreaded unplanned bivouac!
As if avoiding a forced bivy isn’t enough, the Black Diamond Icon Headlamp has even more loveable features:
- Red, green, and blue light modes to help protect your night vision.
- Removable battery pack—put it in your pocket to help keep it warm and preserve battery life.
- Three-level power meter allows you to keep track of how much power you have left.
- Settings that allow you to toggle between range and power.
- Brightness Memory—turn it on at a chosen brightness rather than toggling back through the settings.
- Max burn time is 70 hours on high and 175 hours on low.
Thank you, Black Diamond, for your ingenuity in creating solutions so that I can go farther into the mountains with fewer bivouacs!